Borscht with pork and white beans. Detailed recipe for borscht and garlic rolls.
So I decided to share my recipe for borscht, I make it my own way, but I took several recipes for the popular Ukrainian soup as a basis. And yes, I make it a little thinner than in classic recipes – children prefer it that way.
I happened to live and work in Kyiv for 6 months, and since then it has been one of my favorite cities. Beautiful city, nice people. And Ukrainian cuisine is simply amazing with its quality and variety. Even in the most inexpensive canteens, the quality of dishes is at the level of Michelin restaurants. In cafes and restaurants, in my opinion, all the cuisines of the world are represented, but nevertheless they are very kind to their national dishes.
In this article there will be a recipe for borscht, rolls and garlic impregnation. It is a homemade version of the recipe, so feel free to call your friends, you will get at least 10 servings. So let’s go:
- Pork on the bone – 600 g
- Water – 5 liters (+2-3 liters for the first broth)
- Potato – 300 g
- Cabbage – 300 g
- Beets – 200 g
- Carrots – 100 g
- White beans in tomato sauce – 400-415 g (canned)
- Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp.
- Vinegar – 6% – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tbsp.
- Onion – 1 pc (120-130 g)
- Wheat flour – 320 g
- Water (or milk) – 200 ml
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Dry yeast – 10 g
- Yolk – 2 pcs (1 for dough, 1 for brashing rolls)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – 35 g
Ingredients (garlic sauce for rolls)
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 50-70 ml
Let’s start cooking.
- The first thing I do is a dough. Dissolve dry yeast in 100 ml of warm water, add sugar and 50 grams of flour. Cover with clingfilm or lid and leave for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the dough will increase in volume.
- Add yolk, salt to the dough, mix
- Add the rest of the flour in parts and mix until smooth, the dough is slightly sticky. That’s the way it should be. Mix it until smooth. Add butter, mix again.
- Cover the resulting dough with cling film or a lid and put it in a warm place for an hour and a half.
- Now let’s do borscht. We place the meat in a large stockpot and pour 2-3 liters of water. We put on maximum heat.
- Skim regularly
- As soon as the water boils, reduce the heat to medium, let it cook for 15-20 minutes
- Do not forget to skim regularly.
- After 15-20 minutes, we take out the meat, rinse with cold water, and also rinse the stockpot.
- Place the meat in a stockpot again, pour 5-6 liters of cold water and put it on a high heat again.
- As it boils, reduce the heat, and let it boil, do not forget to remove the scale.
- After an hour, put washed, but not peeled, onions into the broth. It is needed with the husk, it gives a golden color to the broth.
- Salt the broth and let it cook for another 30 minutes. As a result, the broth is cooked for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- After an hour and a half, we take out the onion and throw it away, we no longer need it, he has already given everything he can to the broth.
- We take out the meat and cut it into small pieces so that it is more convenient to eat them later.
- Throw diced potatoes into the broth, after 10 minutes add chopped cabbage to it.
- Finely grate carrots and beets.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of sunflower oil into the frying pan and spread the carrots and beets. Fry until soft, add a teaspoon of vinegar, mix. And add here 50 ml of the resulting broth from the stockpot. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
- After 20 minutes, add the beets and carrots to the pan where the potatoes and cabbage are already cooked. Mix. And add beans along with tomato sauce. (Yes, I took canned, to save time, otherwise you could cook it yourself)
- Add chopped meat here. And let it cook for another 10 minutes, so that the meat is saturated with all the flavors. Сheck the amount of salt in the broth.
- If everything is OK, then turn it off, cover it with a lid and let it stay.
- Now back to the rolls.
- The dough in 1 hour 30 minutes should already have increased in volume three times.
- Gently knead the dough. Put it on a surface sprinkled with flour, knead it a little and divide it into 10 identical parts. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover the balls with a film or towel and let stand for 20-25 minutes, but for now preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- After proofing the dough, brush the top of the buns with yolk and put the baking sheet in the oven and in exactly 25 minutes we will get soft rolls with a slightly crispy crust (that’s what I like).
- While the rolls are in the oven, prepare the garlic sauce.
- In a small bowl, crush the garlic, add salt, sunflower oil (you can use olive oil) and water. We mix everything. Impregnation is ready.
- We pierce the slightly cooled rolls on top with a fork or a toothpick and coat with garlic impregnation.
- Serve borsch with a rolls, sour cream and finely chopped herbs such as dill or parsley
Enjoy your meal!
A lot of text turned out, I wanted to describe in detail the whole process of cooking borscht. But, as usual, there are many nuances, for example:
- Some cook borsch and other soups on the first broth, I think this is not entirely correct.
- The broth can be boiled immediately, saturating it with all the flavors of spices, then remove the meat, herbs from it and send it to the refrigerator to use it for making soups the next day (but be careful – it is not recommended to keep the broth for more than 2-3 days)
- Even if you change your mind about cooking borscht, but want some other soup, then the broth is already ready for you. and can be used for any soup or sauce.
- Beef broth is cooked much longer, about 3-3.5 hours
- In many recipes, tomato paste and sour cream (or just tomato paste) and sometimes tomatoes are added while frying the beets. I don’t add. This borscht will add color, but you can bend it with sourness. Enough tomato sauce in canned beans.
- Many make borscht thicker, I’m not a supporter of this.
- Well, everyone knows that yesterday’s borsch is always tastier.
Thanks for reading!
Cook with pleasure!